Thursday, September 17, 2009

Falling further behind....

Okay, so I am totally behind on this blog, and am awed by my teammates who not only manage to do their work, but also post blogs frequently, and get some sleep. Oh, and did I mention that many of them are blogging in multiple languages. My only excuse is my long commute to work during which time I cannot get anything done. I've tried. All Cecilia and I can really do is listen to our iPods , sleep, or watch the slums go by.... and not look at the windows where the women are begging with their infants.. if you keep the window open, they reach in to grab you. Very aggressive...
So , for now, I will just list a few highlights of how diverse this week has been.. (I will try to get caught up and post pictures this weekend as I'm staying in Mumbai for a more mellow weekend with only a few of the team members as most are headed to Delhi and Agra (Taj Mahal)...

1 We were taken by our client to a meeting hosted by them (BCC&I-
www.bombaychamber.com) at the Taj Hotel.. yes ,the one that was bombed and is near Gateway of India. So, off we went, and listed to a few speeches on Agriculture in India... one of which was in Hindi. Then we ate lunch at the Taj conference hall. Fabulous... I took pics of the food, will post soon. Anyway, it was very posh and fancy and the shops downstairs were very lovely (we didn't go in, couldn't afford to do anything but look from afar, I'm sure, even with the exchange rate to Rupees).

2 We had meetings with various Executives- one who is in charge of Corporate Social Responsibility for Mahindra & Mahindra. way on the other end of town, took awhile in the car to arrive there, but got a good tour of the Western side of the city, which, by the malls and the Rolls Royce and Audi dealerships, I'm guessing is where all the money is that you hear talk about in Mumbai. Informative meeting, very interesting, passionate leader and he gave us some great ideas. He also gave us some lovely gifts related to their ESOPS (Employee Social Options Program- for employee volunteerism) and brochures.

3 I attended an HR committee meeting for the Chamber. It was interesting. Lots of talk about issues that you would not hear about in the US anymore- such as how companies should really start complying with the laws about fair treatment for workers (break times, bathroom accessibility ,factory standards etc.) and no child labor.. .basically a lot of things that are now illegal here, but I guess haven't been really enforced. so that was really interesting to me from an HR perspective. and interesting to hear the Executives' responses when the Commissioner spoke on this topic. This meeting also had (as is customary in India) the best Chai (tea with cardamom (I think) I've had so far. We don't get this tea normally at the Chamber, it was clearly an upgrade for the meeting participants.
4 Our IBM gifts went over very well with the Clients.. although Dr. Sen (Director General) wanted to know why the MOMA (Museum of Moden Art) pen I gave has a cap that doesn't fit on the top of the pen. I wanted to know the same when I got mine a few years ago. No answer, will have to check with MOMA on this :)

5 Evenings- some fun nights.. Cooking class #2, great fun, lots of food again. This time was 'hill ' food.. more on that soon. Dawn is our 'scribe' so we'll get the notes from her and post recipes/ pictures soon. One night of noodle soup from a package in my room (gross actually!) b/c I just couldn't eat out again.. I think that might have been after eating lunch at the Taj!
Last weekend was Bandra Fair (Mt St Mary's) . Fun, crowded (really, really crowded) , the typical street fair, junk food, toys and games for the kids.. but of course even the junk food is new and interesting for us. and a handicraft fair where I got some nice silk pillowcases. Cecilia and I did a good job bartering on those...

5 Travel planning- got some new ideas (Amritsar - border ceremony with Pakistan ) of where to go with Jonathan, so am trying to work out logistics and plan with the various festivals that will be going on. (We're leaving unfortunately, just before Diwali, which is really the 'biggie' but there are others. We are also not around long enough for the Pushkar Camel festival, which sounds very cool indeed. Oh well, next trip to India we'll plan for those!)

6 I'm sure I missed a few things, but those were some highlights. which brings me to.. tomorrow.. actually later this morning at this point ! (still haven't figured out why I can't sleep, so I figure I should at least be productive while I'm awake.......benadryl is still not doing vthe job to knock me out properly!)
Tomorrow we are going on a 'field trip' with our client. First a meeting at Tata Power, with one of the CSR committee heads, then perhaps off to TISS (Tata Institute for Social Services)- where our client's husband is a professor (and where she lives , I believe), then... drumroll, to the Dharaveli Slums. Yes, as in Slumdog Millionairre slums.... we are going... to a hospital there..
so I guess it is good I got all those vaccinations (note to self, still need to get reimbursed for those from IBM!) and all those drugs to prevent anything... I hope. I will bring my mask and hold my breath. We've gotten some warnings about what to wear, etc. so will take the advice. I think it will be really interesting, really difficult and really heartbreaking perhaps too. Although tonight someone from our client site told us that many of the slums have every accoutrement, but just live in the slums.. we'll see how it is...

and the word of the day is "chawl" (for slums) which comes from the fact that a chawl is a word for line (lining up) and the people in the slums have to line up b/c of shared bathroom facilities (to brush teeth, use the bathroom, etc.).. our client told us this, I haven't verified it myself (but it is also in the BCC&I's guidebook they provided us, so it should be valid info!)
We also learned why Bombay is called Bombay.. but I think I should make people comment and guess for this interesting tidbit. And don't cheat on Wikipedia!! just take your best guess! will post the answer soon.

Okay, now it is REALLY bed time. Need to be well rested for my slum expedition.
tomorrow night, Bollywood movie- new release just out. Should be very crowded, but hey, that's Mumbai for you!

1 comment: