Sunday, September 13, 2009

Words of the day

Vocabulary lesson: Some key phrases, taught to us by our clients:

English: Hindi
Water: Pani
Tea: Chai
Rice: Bhat (or Chawal)
Potato: Aloo
Eggplant: Brinjal
“Bottle Gourd” (not sure exactly what this is supposed to be… some kind of squash we surmise)
: Lowki
Chicken: Chicken (I like that this is easy, but many restaurants don’t have meat anyway, so not that useful!)
Mutton: Mutton (this one too, although I don't like to eat it!)
I don’t want: Nahi chahiye
I want: Chahiye
This one: Ye
That one: Woh
Take it easy ( our client tells me this all the time!): Also means “Doesn’t matter”, Also can say “no issue” for “I don’t mind/care”: Koi Bat Nahi
How are you: Kaise Ho
Good morning: Suprabhat
Goodnight: Subhratri
How much does it cost: Kilna Hai
Thank you: Dhanyabad (more familiar/casual) or Sukriya (sounds like “Shukriya”?)
Yes: Han
No : Nahi (sounds like ‘nay’ when said quickly, as they do it here)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Susan!!! I just love it!! Great tips how to spell some words and how can we get though a conversation with some locals...
    I love your blog also!! :O)
    Fabio Silva

    ReplyDelete