Monday, September 21, 2009

Not famous... yet


Posing with Vivek Oberoi
Bollywood was exciting, our brush with stardom....
Vivek Oberoi was starring in the film, which is to be called "Prince" and will be released sometime in spring 2010. He is a thief, and there's a scene in a Post Office (Ghandi Post Office in South Africa somewhere) where he is supposed to bump into me and I drop some letters, which turn out to be whatever clue he is searching for...

Doug and I were screen tested to read a line... (we were in competition against each other!) .... we made the cut, and then they decided to go with the "old man" (we suspect this is why the 2 of us were selected over the others who were mostly in their 20s!)... but he and I were supposed to be together in the scene and I would get bumped into by Vivek and Doug would say the line "Are you alright, young man?"... and then I would bend down to pick up the letters that had fallen....
Sam (from team 2) was here for the weekend, and he and the others in the group that went with us to Film City (a busload full of non-Indians, more than I've seen the whole time I've been here!), were walking around the post office in the scene prior to ours... They spent pretty much all day filming that scene, where Sam was walking around the top of the post office holding a folder, looking officious. In fact, so convincingly, that when I saw him up there, not knowing it was his 'part', I thought he was still on his quest to find a power outlet for his laptop to get his blogging done!!!
So, a lot of sitting around and hearing, "places, SILENCE, video, sound, ACTION" to probably not make it on screen at all, even before final editing cuts.... maybe next time. It was still a fun day, although we all had this crazy idea we would be somewhat productive (we brought our laptops, I had some books/ travel guide with me...) but there was too much of 'go here, sit there, wait here, we're ready for you in 2 minutes, take your jacket off (b/c it was SO hot), put your jacket on (for the scene)...." that needless to say, not much to show for myself at the end of the day, but a well worthwhile experience!!
We heard that Vivek did quite well in a few films, including "Company Zero" which was a hit, but has since been in flops. So perhaps it is better that we are not in his movie... after all, I have a reputation to uphold.

P.S. We did get some pictures with him afterwards and had a nice chat about an NGO he works with to help girls go to school- a couple of hours outside of Delhi- rural area... but my camera has decided not to download pictures anymore, some kind of malfunction. I will try directly from the memory card tonight, and hope that works, or I will be very, very bummed as I have a weeks' worth of pictures still on the camera at this point... :(

No comments:

Post a Comment