Sunday, September 6, 2009

India- “In your face”

They say that India is ‘right here’ (as in, 2 inches from your face) or as we’d say in the U.S. “in your face”… and it is true. The sights, the colors the smells, the spices… pretty amazing. From the traffic coming to and from anywhere – anytime of day or night it seems- to the beautiful women in their saris in so many colors, to the amazing foods we’ve eaten.. Oh, and I shouldn’t forget about the noises! I grew up in New York City- and it isn’t as though Boston is quiet- but WOW- this is a noisy, polluted city. I will know more about this as I sit in the taxi for 3 hours a day on average for my commute to the office. It should be interesting. We had a fun tour of our little ‘neighborhood’ and then the team went for lunch together with Kabi and Bob from CDS. It was really delicious- we had different Naan breads, “Bombay Duck” (not a duck , actually it is a fish and was fantastic) and Tandoori Prawns, which I’ve never seen before. These might have to be hunted down in our local Indian restaurants when I return home. Fabulous.


(Sandra, enjoying Tandoori Prawns!)


It was a great, huge meal- but we were all also surprised when we spent about $25 USD each on this meal as we expected everything in India to be so cheap. We were then told this was the priciest restaurant we’d probably go to, which is good as our per diem is only $25 and this will have to include any transportation beyond getting to and from the office!!

2 comments:

  1. Three hours one way? wow.
    Thanks for the interesting posts! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog and can't wait to hear more. I sent this to a colleague of mine at IBM who is from Mumbai... I think she might get a kick out of reading your impressions. on on!

    ReplyDelete